Wednesday 27 July 2011

Chances are....your just a slut

Junkie - a person with an insatiable craving for something.

Does this sound like you?  I mean...does it REALLY sound like you? Maybe it does...but maybe it doesn't. 

Let's really think about a junkie.  Do you get the shakes if you don't get to the drugstore in time to pick up a new product? Or ....do you just go about your day as normal?  Would you rather spend your last dollar on the latest gel for your hair or dinner for your child?  When you put it in perspective I don't think this really describes any of us!

Although a lot of us are self-proclaimed product junkies....I think that's only because the term itself is passed around so much.  But if it doesn't actually describe us,  why is there such a negative stigma that comes with it from some naturals?  I mean, if you can use Shea butter to wash, condition and style your hair then more power to you! but if I need 17 products to accomplish the same look, does that make you
any more natural than me?  Does it make you more of a natural hair 'veteran' for lack of a better term?  I don't think so.  I think that if you are more of a 'girly girl' you are more likely to be a product junkie because you already like to shop....being natural just gives another avenue of things to shop for! lol.

Let's visit a few other terms....

Connoisseur - a discerning judge of the best in any field

Do you know which product ingredients work the best together?  Do you know how your hair reacts to
different products in different seasons or times of the day?  Do you enjoy the smell and texture of a product before you apply it to your hair?  Maybe your actually a product connoisseur....

Slut - careless or obsessive sexual desire for stimulation or gratification.

Do you spend all day fantasizing about doing your hair?  Have you ever thought of doing a heat session without "protection".  Do you sneak in a quickie 'cowash' in the morning knowing fully well that
you WILL be late for work? (come on, i can't be the only one!) ...... Did you just wash your hair?.......already thinking of washing it again? lol well maybe your just a product slut.

Now, i'm not saying we should eliminate the term product junkie all together after all it does sound a little less harsh than slut.  However, I do think that the negativity that comes with it or assumption that it is a habit that needs to be 'fixed' does need to be eliminated.  


At the end of the day if your hair is healthy, you are not going broke, and your children are fed then 
chances are......your just a slut. :)


                                                        a glimpse into my own product stash


Happy Hair Styling!

23 comments:

  1. An nice...frig... this blog this is new to me... took me forever to sign up to this! GREAT article...I learned a lot :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm the only follower have a contest quick so i can finally win :) Imagine i still lost... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your article! I guess I would describe myself as a product slut..lol. I love to cheat on that old favorite with the latest and greatest newbie product on the block. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! You are speaking to me......I am a product connoisseuring slut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a slut and proud of it! WHAT? WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely a "slut" I been daydreaming of co washing my hair all day at work! I rushed my kid through dinner just to get a chance to co wash my hair before it get too late in the evening! I have issues:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a SLUT, yes I can admit it!! I have hand in hair syndrome as well. I have a protective style which is bangin (a-symetrical bob, chic and short with chinese bangs) and I am already ready to take it down and do my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit that I am a slut too, OMG

    ReplyDelete
  9. True dat...describes me to a "T".

    Nerdynap

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO lovely article hmmm where do I fall in the scheme of things well I am a shopaholic so I just get my kicks now by purchasing products. I have favorites but that doesn't stop me from getting more stuff! Oh well what can I say my hair is my new obsession and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Can't wait to read more articles. Welcome to the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love touching, stroking and caressing my hair.....Slut with a capital S!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I confess. I'm such a slut and loving it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. NOPE I ain't a slut by any shape or form.

    I am indeed a 'girlie girl' and I love shopping but when it comes to my hair I don't fuss at all. It is constantly in a protective style. I use natural shampoo, conditioner and oils that I only need to buy every 3 months.

    I spend more money on clothes and accessories than I do on hair products. This hands off approach seems to work for me as my hair has gone past shoulder length even though my big chop was less than 2 years ago.

    I think all the 'hair sluts' out there are great and give really good invaluable advice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I am a SLUT!! I'm on the mend though because I have managed to restrain myself from buying any of the products on my wishlist (although I have ADDED TWO products to my wishlist). But I really want to take down my braids so I can style my hair and I've only had them in for 1 week. *sigh* I am a slut :P

    P.S. Good to see "The Boy" supporting your blog as well. Please let him win a contest :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Toni! I love your YT vids and now your Blog.
    So lets see. Am I a SLUT? Gosh yes. I love watching those product reviews to learn about the new products on the market. I hardly try them for fear they won't work in my hair :{ So instead I watch the reviews dreaming about if they worked in my hair. BUT I am a girly woman who loves to shop for hair accessories. Will look far and wide for them.
    I love doing my hair and once it is done I begin thinking of the next wash day.
    From your YT subbie lilsisa427

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm on my way...a slut in the making...and i'm proud of it! i too snuck in a quickie co-wash this morning...5 minutes late to work :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol you are a mess with this post hunnie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm more of a product conniesseur (not sure I spelled that right). However, I used to be a prodcut slut. I went to rehab and was reformed! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG...... I am a slut. I washed my hair yesterday and I really want to wash it again just to try a different product.... LOL
    In an attempt to slow down my growing stash when I go shopping I tell my friends dont allow me to get any hair products.It works when I'm with them but I still go online to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would never imagine calling my self a S-L-U-T but I think I'm almost there! I am 7 months post my big chop and 2 months ago have finally found a hair rotuine that works for my 4 b hair. I can't keep my hands out of my hair even if it's in a protective style. I'm constantly touching my hair, stroking it and massaging my scalp, anxiously awaiting to do the next wash and deep condition, so I have to do a quickie co wash every now and then.
    Luv your u-tube channel and of course "the boy"
    your new subie calidrm5

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome blog Toni!! I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus LinkedIn RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Popular Posts

Welcome

Hi, I'm Toni. A natural hair enthusiast, blogger and jewelry designer who enjoys experimenting with all things hair and beauty. I hope to share a bit along the way. :)

Instagram

Followers